I would be very grateful for a further update regarding the Whiteleys development, with specific reference to:
- Any recent modifications in design
- The viability study in respect to affordable housing.
I would also be very grateful if the following points could be added to the objections being put forward to the Planning Committee taking the decision.
I have had a number of objection to the current proposal for the redevelopment of Whiteleys from local residents, with concerns almost entirely reflecting yours, including:
- loss of light, especially as this impacts on residents in Kensington Gardens Square
- the bulk/height of the development
- the effect on the Listed building
- the lack of affordable housing provision
I am anxious to ensure that we do take the opportunity to build more residential accommodation and accept the importance of kick-starting the regeneration of Queensway, but that should not mean accepting unsatisfactory designs or ignoring the wider responsibilities to local residents, heritage and need for more affordable homes. It is clear that many in the local community feel that the current proposals fall short on these grounds.
Karen Buck MP